EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 10:16:54 -0400
Thanks for the cogent reply and further interesting comments on the lack of
place for apocalypse in what might be called "pure" (i.e. unmingled with
buddhistic) confucian philosophical thought. Undiluted Confucian philosophy
does not conceive of the possibility of an End of Everything. The confucian
state is a sort of perpetual-motion machine, though one which can get
knocked out of equilibrium.

Couldn't the possibility of nuclear cataclysm provide some explanation for
Pound's apparent abandonment of the hard line? To hang your argument
primarily upon the "impurity" and subsequent "collapse" of the confucian
canon seems to me somewhat too theoretical and abstract in light of the
events of the second world war and the unfolding events of the cold war.
The evidence you cited suggests, at least to me, that Pound did not dismiss
the possibility of nuclear cataclysm out of hand.  More on this subject
would be of interest.

> Pound appeared to use the word salvation, I believe, toward the end
> of his life in an almost Christian sense, in the sense of speaking of the
> salvation of the individual soul.  This is what I think he meant in 1960,
> when he said Confucianism could not serve as a religion of salvation,
> and so abandoned Confucianism altogether, without replacing it with
> any specific religious view.

If you believe that towards the end of his life Pound began thinking in
religious salvationist terms, more on his relationship to medieval Christian
texts and the notion of final judgment would be worth exploring. This line
of investigation might bring one to the conclusion that confucianism had
been the predominant philosophy of action during his middle years... but
that Pound's mind had always been *syncretic*.  I sense that you may be
willing to consider the view that Pound was not inflexibly and inexorably
confucian:

> To the extent he was a Confucian, he would have found the idea
> of an apocalypse irrational.

> Pound was thoroughly Confucian in as much as he believed in the
> cycles of Chinese history, the notion that history went through periods
> of moral ascension and moral decline, but excludes total destruction of
> the cosmos.

Finally, the term "collapse" implies that Pound did not emerge from Error
but lay buried under a mass of debris, a fallen house of cards. Is that your
take on the poetry from the final period? Or of the middle period? Or both?

Tim Romano