EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:52:08 -0500
I have a ten-year correspondence with Sherri, whom I met at
the MLA in San Francisco in, I think, 1979.  Amazingly,
in all her many pages one gleans almost no specifics,
little factual info about her life or personal relationship
with EP (at least, that I remember: I haven't poked into
this file in many years).  Her psyche, however, is voluminously
displayed in these letters.  She operated in a higher dimension
than mine.  She also included in her letters many sketches
and copies of drawings--especially of EP.

==Dan

At 09:37 PM 1/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks to Everett Lady for reminding me in his bio that Takoma Park--where
I was born--was actually a pretty hip place, despite being the Seventh Day
Adventist capital of the world. And if anyone has more info on Sheri
Martinelli, please do post it. What little I have read about her has
fascinated me, and no doubt, others. Didn't someone post a photo of her
last year?

> [...]
>learn what Pound was really like at St. Liz.
>
>But it was not only his old friends and his young disciples who gave
>Pound their love.  Apparently the inmates in the asylum were quite
>devoted to him, and he seemed to enjoy them.  In either Charles Norman's
>biography or Humphrey Carpenter's, there is a report from someone who
>visited Pound at St Liz, and Pound was commenting on his lawn chairs,
>which he found the ideal furniture, and one of the inmates said,
>"Yes, and not only has he got a lawn chair, but he's got a heart bigger
>than all Washington."
>
>According to all reports, the people in Rapallo loved Pound.  And the
>guards at the prison camp at Pisa, who had been told that he was a
>despicable traitor who should not be talked to, came to have a lot of
>affection for him and did forbidden favors for him.
>
>And his daughter Mary certainly gave him a love which was far beyond
>what he deserved, given the way he had treated her.  I don't know that
>much about Omar, although I do know that he did write regularly to
>Pound at St. Elizabeths.
>

>As to being despised....  Well yes.  But then I happen to know for a
>fact that Professor Morse is despised.  And for that matter, so am I
>despised.  And President Clinton is despised, as was John F. Kennedy and
>Dwight D. Eisenhower.  In fact, there may be people in the world who
>are not despised by anyone, but no one who is a public figure (or
>teacher, or otherwise involved in dealing with people) can make this
>claim.
>
>You would think that people who have made a profession out of studying
>Pound would have learned a little bit from him about the use of
>language.  One of the things about the passive voice is that it makes it
>much too easy to leave out important details.
>
>I know that there exist people who despise Morse, and I know that there
>exist people who despise me.  Thus to say, "Morse is despised" or "I am
>despised" is accurate, but quite misleading (since I am fairly certain
>that most of the world loves both of us!)
>
>If one had said, "Everyone despised Pound," then this would have been a
>more specific statement that could be discussed intelligently.  Clearly
>such a statement would be false.
>
>On the other hand, if one had said, "Most people despised Pound," then
>this would have been accurate on a purely numerical basic.  However most
>people who despised him knew almost nothing about him, and what they
>knew was mostly wrong.  The more relevant fact is that the more people
>knew about Pound, the less likely they were to despise him, even when
>they violently disagreed with his political attitudes (as most people
>did and most people still do).
>
>What does seem to be true is that many of the academics who have devoted
>a significant portion of their careers to studying Pound seem to despise
>him as a person.  Maybe this tells us something about Pound.  Or maybe

HOME:
Dan Pearlman
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5
Providence, RI 02906