EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 13:12:27 -0400
Tim--

When reading this passage from the broadcasts, keep in mind that this is
one of Pound's coded anti-semitic passages--for him, as for so many
anti-semites of populist persuasion around the turn of the century, "New
York bankers" was a way of saying "Jew."  This phraseology and attitude
return again and again in EP's poetry, essays, letters, and broadcasts.

Note that Leonard Doob, for instance, won't list such a passage in his
list of anti-semitic passages.  This is not to criticize Doob so much as
our way of knowing anti-semitism when we see it.

Also, what are we to do with the fact that Pound treats the same idea with
the same language in both broadcast, essay, and poem?  Are they
ideologically equivalent?

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University