EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:53:16 PDT
Peter Bi says

>I think I don't belong to the group of "educated English speaking Chinese",
>or educated Chinese, whatever. I am basically the same as the other
>peasants
>in my nowhere home town.

I did not say that you belong to the group of "educated English speaking
Chinese" (though I left open the possibility that you might).  That is why I
said,

> > > Some educated English speaking Chinese say things like this . . .

(implying that you might belong to this group or not)

I appreciate your comment, and respect your right to designate yourself as

an "English speaking (e.g.) Canadian".

My main point was simply that some "educated English speaking Chinese" make
certain assertions about the nature of Pound's poetry, and that these
assertions should be looked at in their cultural contexts, and that the
meaning of such assertions needs to be looked at broadly, in comparison to
other generalizations about culture and poetry.