ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:10:15 EST
Before we go too far astray ...
>I agree with you about the stuffing of the ballot box for Cory issue...
>inmy opinion, Barrett H and Metcalf, are more deserving than Cory ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that Larose is head
and shoulders above any other conceivable Maine candidates.

Just so we have a little focus, the Hobey Baker Award is not a "best
player" nor "MVP", nor "most likely to succeed in the NHL", nor
"favorite player" award.  Cory Larose may be a good candidate for any of
these as far as the Maine team goes, but I haven't heard any reasonable
arguments for anyone else when it comes to the Hobey Baker Award.

Here are the Hobey Baker Award criteria:

1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display
   outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and
   sportsmanship.

4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in
   an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university;  and complete 50%
   or more of the season.

For more information on the award, I invite you to the Hobey Baker Award
web site:

      http://www.hobeybaker.com/

As for the fan vote ...  Yes, the fans do have a vote:

      http://uscollegehockey.com/

The initial selection of ten finalists is done by the 60 D-I head
coaches naming their top 3 candidates.  The fan vote, ending March 8th,
is counted as approximately 60% of an additional vote.  Thus, my reading
of the process, there will be approximately 60.6 votes cast to determine
the list of 10 finalists.

A second fan vote will be held for the 10 finalists.  A selection
committee (including, again, a 1% fan vote) determines the HB winner and
runner-up.

So, to be heard ... vote!

To have a non-trivial effect, influence 1 or more of the D-I head hockey
coach votes or votes of the HB selection committee.  By the way, the
selection committee includes Tim Brule (USCHO) and Larry Mahoney (BDN
for HEA) and Dick Umile (UNH) and 17 others.

   Please don't vote for a person just because they've scored a bunch of
   goals and please don't vote for anyone from Vermont!

I don't expect him to win ... too quiet, too much a team player, but ...

cheers from someone voting for Cory Larose,

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3