EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:34:57 -0500
Dan:

"I would say that the two concepts, integrity and coherence, are entirely
disparate."

I'm not so sure. Certainly they aren't necessarily linked. However:

When writing with "integrity", and faced with problems of "coherence", how does
one deal with it?

One can say, "I accept the lack of coherence because it is honest", and I think
this is sometimes (but not necessarily) appropriate.

But one can also say, "I can sort this out only by a leap of integrity.
Coherence will come if I work with honesty through this which I don't know.".

In practice, don't writers try to forge relations between integrity and
coherence all the time, a kind of on-going give and take between the two?

Isn't one's early attraction to Pound partly due to the desire to watch that
effort played out over the first half of this century?

Michael