EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Melissa White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 07:53:45 -0800
Thank you very much!  I found the poem, and this will
really help my paper if I can contextualize it.  I am
a little confused though - is "Cantico del Sole" where
the quote originates, or has Pound taken it from
Hand's decision?  I would like to understand this
clearly (and I don't yet have a copy of the essay you
mentioned, as I feel it relates intricately to my
thesis.  I am writing about "make it new" and the
Imagiste Manifesto and how Pound translates Divus'
Odyssey in Canto I and 2 poems from the Confucian
Odes.  It seems to me there is a notion of "the
classics" at stake - should the quote be taken to mean
ancient Greek and Roman literature, or something more
broad?

I will continue looking for the essay.  Thanks again
for your speedy and helpful reply.

Melissa

--- matthew hofer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<HR>
Sole&quot; (originally
published in _Instigations_), a poem written after the
decision by Judge
Hand in March of 1918 to ban the American distribution
of the serialized
&quot;Nausikaa&quot; chapter of James Joyce's
_Ulysses_ (which had been
serialized chapter by chapter in _The Little
Review_).</div>
court finds
unacceptable in a modern &quot;classic&quot; is
permissible in the
classics in translation because they &quot;have the
sanction of age and
fame and USUALLY APPEAL TO A COMPARATIVELY LIMITED
NUMBER OF
READERS.&quot;&nbsp; You can find this quotation and
more in Pound's
essay &quot;The Classic's [sic.] Escape.&quot;&nbsp;
To this evaluation
of the controversial decision, he adds, &quot;No more
damning indictment
of American civilization has been written than that
contained in Judge
Hand's 'opinion.'&quot;&nbsp; The decision was not
reversed until
1933.</div>
_Personae: The
Shorter Poems._</div>