EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:31:35 -0400
Wei,
I do not doubt that you are correct with respect to its central importance
for Pound, but you have merely asserted, and have not demonstrated, that the
Ta Hio was considered by Pound  to be a "metaphysical" and "theological"
document.  The "axe" metaphor suggests that Pound saw the Ta Hio, if
anything, as an "anti-metaphysical" document, something with which to cut
through the "jungle" of "Western idealism".  Rather like Occam's razor. And
the remaining quotes you have offered, while they do go to your point about
the weight Pound assigned this document, indicate that Pound regarded the Ta
Hio as primarily a secular document, i.e. a document governing the mundane
behavior of peoples engaging in social intercourse and civilized commerce.
The problem Pound identified in the predominant strains of western
judeo-christian idealism, is that, with its eye on eschatology, it was
otherworldy, rejecting the notion of individual and collective human
achievement, and infusing human sexuality with guilt. This strain of western
religious teaching (a typical tract would be "On Generation and Corruption")
would create more T.S. Eliots, not more William Carlos Williamses.
Tim Romano

You wrote:

> [...] Those who take Pound at his word NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS.  The Ta Hio,
Pound