EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:39:44 -0400
> Aren't you really saying that we live in an age of hypocrisy, where the
value
> of reason is used to camouflage the actually desired effect?

michael,
     not hypocrisy...nihilism.
what, for eg, do you take to be the philosophical burden
of our present circumstance with:... wholesale abortions,
kevorkian, dolly, human genome archive...?  all the previsible
issue (cf blake's Urizen, Mary shelley's frankenstein) of
instrumental reason (positive science and the regional
sciences, anthropology, sociology, psychology,...etc)
and the concommitant ideology of liberalism with its
wonderfully simple utilitarian felicific ethic,... consumerism?
and there's no cop out any longer of a "prudential use" of reason;
here's only irresistable tyranny,
engrosses everything we do and are, no?

there's no place in this world for (upper case) Art, is there?
(and Art gives expression to this bitter fact in say
picasso's grotesque deconstructions, or andy warhol's slick vapidities, or
andres serrano's "piss christ", or the "shit madonna"
of brooklyn museum fame earlier this year, etc.

anyway, hope this isn't hitting with a stick...
...but the pt is: nihilism is the overwhelming datum of modern cultural
awareness.

bob