EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Faherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:36:15 +0100
Since you asked...the Imagist Walk was wonderful.  Although we had a
little bother at first -- the restaurant on Percy Street where the
School of Images first met ninety years ago is about to become a
Vietnamese place and the new owners didn't want some poetry thing on
their doorstep and we were joined by a colourful character who
declared himself the neighbourhood emporer and wanted to drag us all
up to his rooftop terrace for some early morning whiskey -- the rain
held off and Bob did a lovely job of escorting us all around
Bloomsbury and Kensington and pointing out things like the former
offices of The Egoist, the site of Monroe's bookshop where Frost first
met Pound, the church where Pound and Dorothy were married, the little
teashop where Pound and H.D. often went over their poems together, and
all the places where Yeats, H.D., Lawrence, Pound and some others
related to Imagism once lived.  Imagist poems, it almost goes without
saying, were recited along the way -- often to the puzzlement of those
passing by.  The man who now lives in H.D.'s old flat in Bloomsbury
came out and chatted with us, saying he'd been there four years now
and had yet to spend one unhappy day as its resident.  Anyhow, the
poet Hugo Williams was there to cover the event for the TLS, so
something a bit more reportorial should be in that fairly soon.

I'm sure those of us who were there would like to thank Bob for
putting so much effort into researching and organizing the walk and,
if I remember correctly, he promised there'd be another one to
celebrate the centenary in 2009.  I think he said that'll be a
Wednesday.

Michael Faherty