EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:05:56 -0500
This passage is also more difficult, I think, because it's so
beautiful--we're so moved that we don't think!  Whether that's good or
bad, I leave to another post...

I remember having seen the centaur identified as a figure of creativity
for Pound, but now that I think about it, wouldn't Daedalus be the figure
of the artist?  And the centaur the evidence of warped passions that must
be contained by the artist?

Might this be Pound's attempt to pull off a bi- or tri-cultural figure?
That is, looking out from the Gorilla cage and thinking about Jews and
Greeks?

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University