EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:47:23 -0400
As regards Pound's sounds, the place to start is Donald Gallup's
bibliography, which has a good list of recordings, with all the essential
information.  I've picked up the records over the years (you see them in
second-hand stores for $20 or more), and I've also saw the Caedmon
releases in a double cassette package in the St. Marks Bookshop in New
York City a few years ago. You may also be able to pick up the "Villon"
l.p.  in a used record store, or have one do a search for you (try Gryphon
Books in New York City). I also heard Cavalcanti at Brunnenburg, but I'm
not sure if it was on tape or on l.p.  I'm not sure if any of this has
made it onto c.d. Incidentally, Hugh Kenner's liner notes to the "Odes"
are wonderful.

Let us not forget the 1939 recording of "Sestina: Altaforte," which you
can hear on the "Voices and Visions" video.

Yale has plenty of poetry that Olga seems to have recorded informally over
the years--including Pound reading works by others.

As for the broadcasts, the National Archives has many, many of them, very
easily available on cassette through the mail for a very reasonable price.
About a year ago I posted a pretty extensive explanation of how to do
this, so a look through this list's archive should turn it up--or anyone
can e-mail me directly.

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University

P.S. My dissertation engages with the broadcasts quite directly, and I
thought if I can turn my thesis into a book, an accompanying c.d.  with a
selection of the broadcasts would make a very nice package.  Any thoughts?
very nice