EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Fisher and Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:47:53 -0700
Dear Richard and Burt,
The tone leading of the vowels may mean no more than the comment at the
end of ABC of Reading regarding paying attention to the sequence of
vowels. But also see a series of 3 drafts for the unpublished undated
essay "Song" in the Beinecke archive, in which Pound, writing about
setting words to music, refers to the "timbre" of the words and his use
of them. In EP's Radio Operas, pp 156-7, I introduce the definition of
melopoeia from the first and second drafts of this essay because of the
focus on the crafting of sound: "Pound clarified melopoeia as dependent
on 'the actual beat, rhythm, and timbre of [the] words for the emotional
effect of [the] work.' Because this type of lyric poem was made to be
'delivered with varying pitch,' he called it 'cantabile' to distinguish
it from poems intended to be spoken or half-chanted, and noted that the
word sounds would be joined quite differently for melopoeia cantabile
than for all other types of poetry."  [single quotes are from Song by EP]
Best wishes,
Margaret