EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:14:21 -0400
- Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine              <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Duncan's biographer Ekbert Faas and Edward Foster in "Understanding the Black Mountain Poets" both refer (Faas, 282 and Foster,142) to Duncan having used Pound's "tone leading of vowels".  Foster refers back to "Literary Essays of Ezra Pound" page
>5.
>
>Can someone point out to me where Pound describes "tone leading of vowels"?  Both Faas and Foster use precisely this phrase as if it were a phrase of Pound's.    Pound seems to be more concerned with leading of consonants and the effect of final
>vowels.

Somewhere around 1946, Duncan sent Pound a letter asking, "What is the secret?" Pound sent back a postcard that read, "Follow the tone leading of the vowels." I received this story from Duncan himself. It may also be in writing somewhere, but I
don't know where. Any further information would be appreciated.

Burt Hatlen