EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:26:16 -0700
Tim Romano wrote:

> http://www.mentalfloss.com/newissue.htm

>>     I have not seen it yet, but I understand there is an article on EP in
>> MENTAL FLOSS magazine Vol.2 Issue 5 by Greg Barnhisel. Has anyone read
>> it?

I purchased this magazine and read most of it, and I do not recommend
it.  I struggle for vocabulary to describe it... it's trying to do the
sound-bite version of erudition or something.  It's full of "fascinating
facts", and no article is longer than 3 or 4 pages, the attitude is
pretty relentlessly gee-whiz.  The piece on Pound is a flat
under-written recital of the facts, with big-font pull-outs obviously
inserted by someone who had read neither the article nor any Pound.  Any
recital of the essentials on EP ought to elicit at least two chosen from
a list including pity, contempt, and awe.  I left the magazine in a
hotel room but my recollection is that not one word of the verse is
excerpted.  It says Mauberley is "perhaps Pound's finest poem."  I can't
imagine what kind of person invents such a magazine.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)