EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:29:21 -0400
But you don't need to posit an ancient "you" in order to have license to
explore those wider mythic implications, Burt. For Pound, a poet writing in
the 20th century could be on equal terms with Ovid or Catullus. In the
truest sense, the 'classical' is a quality to be found in the craft and in
the vision, not a *temporal* attribute. Remember what Ford Maddox Ford said
when accosted/interviewed by Pound in Italy--the interview where Ford
impatiently replies "brush his teeth!" to Pound's question "What's the
first thing an artist should do?" Real artists, Ford says, are
*indistinguishable*.
Tim Romano