EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:17:45 -0800
Brennen,

I don't have any cred at all, street or academic, so don't feel bad.  I
just have, to use Charles' analogy, a big gun that frequently backfires
or jams, which I don't aim very well; nor do I often think much before
pulling the trigger.

Instead of the bathroom, you could do a Marlon Brando and go down to the
ocean with your mouth full of pebbles (by the polyphloisboios seacoast,
that is).

I've actually tried pretty hard to like Ashbury.  I just don't.  I have
a similar problem with Stevens -- and I'm willing to admit, if forced,
that it's my problem and not Stevens'.  I read all of his poems
(Stevens') about every other year or so, and, though I admire his
artistry, I'm always disappointed.  The dimension I miss may very well
be bound up with the sound.  Stevens is as dull to me aloud as he is in
silence (Ashbury too).

Dirk

--

Dirk Johnson