EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:13:43 -0500
Michael,
    I can give you Ovid's answer.

    "victa iacet pietas, et virgo caede madentis
    ultima caelestum terras Astraea reliquit."
              -Metamorphoses Book I l.149-150

    "Pity lay vanquished, and the maiden Astraea, last of the immortals,
abandoned the blood-soaked earth."

"Astraea redux" has been proclaimed in the past. Caesar had the vanquished
pass under her yoke. No evidence she was really there.

Charles