EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
laura and jeff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:33:05 -0500
in all this talk about pound in the academy, it's interesting to note:
the jack kerouac school of disembodies poetics (at the naropa institue in
colorado) has offered classes called: ezra pound. and: the cantos of ezra
pound. i guess it helps that the school was started by poets (allen ginsburg
/ anne waldman) and is still run by anne.
jeff.

>><snip>
>>
>      I hardly think that the reason younger scholars and stdents of
>>literature have "hardly even heard of [Pound]" is because the Cantos aren't
>>available on the Web.  While electronic access might be convenient, it isn't
>>preventing students and aspiring scholars from reading EP.  Perhaps a more
>>likely reason is his conspicuous absence from the classroom--whether because
>>his poetry is "too difficult" or because many instructors find his politics
>>distasteful or inappropriate for the classroom.
><snip>
>
>This is true.  There are professors who refuse to teach Pound.  In my
>graduate school, though Pound has been on the syllabus in many Modernist
>courses, he has often not had a big place.  In one case, my 1-hour
>presentation was the only coverage he got; in another the professor asked me
>to stand in and teach Pound (2 sessions).  We have courses offered in single
>authors, from Chaucer to Morrison, and in single books (Ulysses, for
>example), but there has never been a whole course offered here in Pound.
>Those of us who want to do serious work on him often have to do so alone or
>with minimal help.  Hooray for the Pound list!
>
>Patricia

        There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass,
        there are only
        eyes in all heads
        to be looked out of

                             -charles olson, from "letter 6" (of the maximus                                    poems)