EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cameron McWhirter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:59:31 EST
I have to agree that taking apart the centaur line can sterilize the poem.
Terminal allusion-itis/ too much bark instead of forest.
The strength of the Pisan section is it's unbookishness, its humanness. I read
those lines and i see Pound, dusty and depressed, sitting on the floor of his
barbed cage in the Pisan DTC. He's waiting for his execution on treason
charges and he's staring at a small anthill. His world, what he thought was
the world, has collapsed, and now, at 60, he has to rebuild.

The new correspondence b/t Pound and Dorothy goes a long way toward framing
what Pound was thinking during the creation of the Pisan Cantos and more
importantly WHERE he was.

--Cam McWhirter