EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Charles Moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 06:35:04 -0500
Bob,
    I think that going straight to the heart of the matter is to ask how our
poet reconciles his Confucian pragmatism with his goddess tendency. Or to
put it differently would he have made more of Manitou (Canto LXXIX) had he
remained in his own country?
"Faun's flesh is not to us Nor the saint's vision"...."Subjectively."
    As to Avicenna and Averoes my understanding is that the former had the
Koran memorized at the age of ten and could have hardly denied the
immortality of the soul while the latter was declared a heretic by the
Mahound clergy and his books burned even though he maintained there could be
a double truth i.e. a proposition could be theologically true while
philosophically false. Evidently the book burners were not impressed. And
apparently neither Avicenna nor Averroes have qualified as the Madhi. Some
thousand years later that Scholasticism could have an effect on such diverse
individuals as Ezra Pound and Jacques Maritain must give us pause on the
contemplation of the evolution of such duality or if it really means much at
all to the great mass of "believers" who are still engaged in jubilantly
eliminating one another and hastening their immortal souls on to their
respective Paradises.

Manitou, please keep them from fighting in my corn field.

Charles