EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:31:25 -0700
Michael,
    "Facile"? I cannot find you facile in any way. Your honesty comes
through.

    "No man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least
part of its contents" Ezra P.

    "Hitch your wagon to a star"? Hell, I say. Forget dragging the SUV. Get
on the star and ride. You'll be amazed at all you'll fly past very quickly.
    I am not sure Prometheus is the god we wish to invoke to get us beyond
our self-absorbing rhetoric although "forethought" certainly serves our
purposes in most instances. It is the balance of Apollo and Dionysus with
the Triple Goddess which would have the greatest restorative effect. Start
with the sun and moon all over again from the beginning and get it right
this time. Hesse in a "Magister Ludi" poem put it like this-

    "Vielleicht, dass einst das Dunkel sich verliert,
    Vielleicht, dass einmal sich die Zeiten wenden,
    Dass Sonne wieder uns als Gott regiert
    Und Opfergaben nimmt von unsern Handen."

which I translate-

    Perhaps when once the darkness leaves,
    Perhaps when then the times change hands
    The sun again its reverence receives
    And takes the offerings from our hands.

CDM