EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:45:00 -0400
tim,
     has it been suggested c.71 be read as a modernist pastoral elegy?
mourning the death of a geist ...and perhaps the poet
en-fleshing it...himself, if you want;  but, rather a conventional
structure, than biographical?

also re the centaur metafor: what about the equestrian
statue image, gatamelatta, or marcus aurelius, or st geo?
conventional western image of "courage", "order"...dragon-slayer?
and of course bonaparte,... & mussolini affected this,
and finally  got pulled down of their high-horses,  prodigious vanities.

bob