EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 05:18:47 GMT
Subject: Re: "The totalizing effects of Political Correctness . . ."

DP said,

<<
Dear Mr. Wei,

It would take a disquisition as long as John M. Ellis's "Literature Lost:
Social Agendas and the Corruption of the Humanities" (Yale University Press,
1997) to educate you on American PC . . .>>

Perhaps.  For you, me, or anyone else on this list, it might take a work as
long as Jean Paul Sartre's "Critique of Dialectical Reason" to free
ourselves from the dominant ideology.  We all have a great deal we should
read, and a great need to continue learning.

<<so I
suggest you take time off from the Pound list to read it>>

I don't happen to have a copy readily available.  Perhaps you could post a
brief quote from that work to pique our interest, and to illustrate your
outlook.  Is this the book which you would argue makes the strongest case
that our society is plagued with "political correctness"?

I find the title interesting.

"Literature Lost: Social Agendas and the Corruption of the Humanities"

Whose social agendas are we talking about?  The right and the left both have
social agendas, either of which is capable of corrupting thought.  This is
not one of those books which claims that only the "left" or only the "right"
is guilty of corrupting the study of literature, is it?  I find both
Marxist-Leninist and Capitalistic (Status Quo) Apologetics equally
objectionable.

If we accept the notion that our society is not really divided from right to
left, but from top to bottom, we could say that the study of literature has
been corrupted from the beginnning of civilization by  upper class patronage
of the institutions designed to propagate knowledge.   Cound it be that what
some call "political correctness" is merely the beginning of movement which
is challenging the hegemony of elite social, poltical, and economic
interests?

Regards,

Wei