EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:19:36 -0400
Alex,

Just one small correction to your spelling: it's the pensione Cicí.
I just checked it against my diary.  Unfortunately, I don't seem
to have the house number written down either.
==Dan

At 09:09 AM 7/13/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi, Tammaro,
>
>  EP & Olga lived at the Calle Querini. Unfortunately I forget the number
of the house, but you
>cdn't miss it anyway. If you go there get a map of Venice and choose the
Calle Querini close to La
>Salute, the beautiful, white landmark church you wdn't miss either.. Just
take a vaporetto to La
>Salute, get off there, and ask the short way to the Calle Querini which,
BTW, might lead you past
>the Pensione Chi Chi where EP used to have his meals very often. The Chi
Chi is just round the
>corner. The Calle is a small and short street, and if I recall it right
the house must be the 3rd or 4th
>on the right. And then take the 5 to San Michele and see EP's grave with
Guy Davenports design
>of the letters on the small stone.

>Lucas,
>
>Yip's "Cathay" was pioneering work and thus still is a must, comparable to
Espeys "Mauberley"
>and Sullivan's "Propertius".
>Maybe you might want to look into these:
>
>1) L. S. Dembo, The Confucian Odes of EP. A Critical Appraisal. U of Cal.
1963 and/or Faber,
>London 1963;
>2) Wai-Lim Yip, Diffusion and Distances. Dialogues Between Chinese and
Western Poetics. U of
>Cal. 1993;
>3) Zhaoming Qian, Orientalism and Modernism. The Legacy of China in Pound
and Williams, and
>4) John Driscoll, The China Cantos of EP, Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis,
Studia Anglistica
>Upsaliensia, Uppsala 1983;
>5) John J. Nolde, Blossom From the East. The China Cantos of Ezra Pound.
Nat. Poetry
>Foundation, Orono, ME 1983;
>6)  John Solt, "The Hooking of Distant Antennae: Ez Po & Kit-Kat", and
Tony Lopez, "Sequential
>Meaning in EP's Cathay", both in Richard Taylor/Claus Melchior, Ezra Pound
and Europe,
>Amsterdam/Atlanta, GA [Rodopi] 1993;
>7) Sanehide Kodama (Ed.), EP & Japan. Letters & Essays, Redding Ridge
[Black Swan Books]
>1987, and if you happen to read German,
>8) Monika Motsch, EP und China. Heidelberg [Carl Winter
Universitdtsverlag] 1976.

>Cheers,
>
>alex

Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
email: [log in to unmask]            Fax:  401 874-2580