EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Jonathan Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:49:12 -0500
At 12:02 AM 3/30/1999 -0500, Tim Romano wrote:

>. . . If you can't get the letters, how about Selected Prose
>1909-1965 (ed. Cookson). It does contain the essay  "What I Feel About Walt
>Whitman"

I'll use it if I have to, thanks. But I want the letter to Williams about
being an American poet, and the letter to Taupin about poetic ancestry
("Ueberhaupt ich stamm aus Browning"), and the letters devoted to educating
Harriet Monroe, and . . . well, you know what I mean. I haven't yet figured
out what makes some poets great writers of letters (Byron and Keats yes,
Shelley no; Dickinson yes, Whitman no; D. H. Lawrence and Marianne Moore
yes, Eliot and Stevens no), but (as Allen Tate said about "Because I could
not stop for death") if the word "great" means anything it means Pound's
letters. Don't abandon beauty, W. W. Norton!

Jonathan Morse