EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Achilles Stompworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:13:05 -0500
Well, there's a painting by Poussin called _Et in Arcadia ego_ that shows
two rather studly neoclassical-looking chaps gazing at a tombstone.
Obviously, as you probably already know, an allegory of the omnipresence
of death.  I used to have a book with that painting in it, but alas it is
not to be found.

Hope that helps, or at least verifies what you already probably know.

Cheers to all and sundry,
Michael Kicey

On 22.01.1999 6:23 PM, W. Freind at [log in to unmask] lamented:

>Can someone point me to the source of "Et in Arcadia ego?" I keep thinking
>Vergil, but can't find it.
>
>Yes, I know I should know that.
>
>Bill Freind

Desire is at once the most reluctant student
and the most demanding teacher.

 Michael Kicey - Last of the Famous International Playboys

 [log in to unmask]       717/399.6281
 acad.fandm.edu/~M_Kicey/     210 Meyran Hall