EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Alexander Schmitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:14:00 +0100
text/plain (102 bytes) , text/plain (510 bytes) , text/plain (510 bytes) , text/plain (179 bytes) , text/plain (179 bytes) , text/plain (197 bytes) , text/plain (197 bytes) , text/plain (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB)
Robert,

  had tried to send you a mail to yr new adress, but obviously I have problems with the correct

 Torrey's book not even TRIES to be more or less objective. His prejudices against EP are obvious from the first pages on. And the rest of that book tries to construct some kind of conspiracy theory behind which, of course, is the solid reproach: Pound shd have been sentenced. He was not insane. He simpy knew how to get psychiatrists and lawyers on to his side. The whole trial thus was plain nonsense etc etc.     I still find Julian Cornell's "The Trial of Ezra Pound" (NY: John Day 1966) the best book to read on
I really don't think it much worthwhile to discuss Torrey any further . Strangely, for example, when I had hoped that Casillo's "Genealogy of the Demons" wd have raised a pretty hot
The question of EP's sanity is another and very complicated thing. In the clinical sense [is that the right word?] he of course was insane or rather suffered from attacks of insanity and in his later
alex