EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:45:16 -0500
Gentlemen,
    Since I do not have the text in Italian, am I to understand that
"contrapasso" translates to "retribution"? "Counterpass" = sort of  the
taste of your own medicine? What goes around, comes around,etc.?
    And I agree with Rick to a certain extent because Canto XXIV seems to
depict some turning about also. Not only do we have the youthful year in
Aquarius showing waning nights and waxing days, but Dante himself taking the
advise of Virgil to pluck up his waning spirits "conquer thy panting with
thy soul", but also the reference to the mystical sui generis alchemical
Phoenix out of Ovid. Metam. Bk.xv reborn out of his own ashes. but I
wouldn't flounder around there too long.

Charles