EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:19:57 -0400
7bit
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
The explanation you have suggested for the apparently
"slavish" translations is not incompatible with the one I
suggested.

Though he was interested in translation and in Old English
poetry, Pound never wrote, as far as I recall, about
chiasmus as a formal element (though I'd like to be
corrected on this point if I'm wrong). So, I'll make just a
few remarks but would be happy to carry on a discussion
off-list with anyone who may be interested in these formal
elements.

Chiasmus is a common rhetorical feature of early medieval
religious writing, both poetry and prose. When one has
discerned how a work has been informed by chiasmus (this
requires sensitive reading only, not counting) then the
numbers do emerge in those works which belong to this
tradition.

Take a look, if you like, at my web site, where I am
preparing an electronic critical edition of the poem known
as The Wanderer, as a case study. It's a work-in-progress
and the commentary has large gaps, but it's far enough along
to give you a fair sense of the poem's formal features. I do
read the poem somewhat differently than Howlett but by no
means do I part company with him.

Tim Romano
www.ot.com/~tim

P.S. You'll need Netscape, or Internet Explorer v.4, to take
full advantage of the synchronized scrolling feature of the
e-edition.