EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:30:28 -0400
7bit
To: Ezra Pound Discussion Mail <[log in to unmask]>
On July 10, 1976 (one week after the US bicentennial) I visited Pound's
grave to lay flowers.  It was 95 in the shade for most of that summer,
so my cut flowers weren't going to last long, but I wanted to do it.
Ezra's grave was dusty and a cemetery cone held dried flowers which once
resembled those in my hand.  I went to a pump, drew water, and cleaned
the headstone.  I placed the flowers and water in the cone, and walked
away to return the bucket.  I spied a flash of color in the brown grass
some ways off and went to investigate.  It was a photograph of Ezra
standing in a garden, holding a cane and admiring a rose:  an elegant
image.  On the back, in a large circular hand, was written "Ezra Pound
1885-1972 / The Fourth of July 1976".  It was a little bleached out by
the sun and the corners were beginning to curl.  I put it in my copy of
_A Lume Spento_ and walked back to the grave.  I brought it home with
me, and it's held an honored place in my life ever since.  It stays on
my desk while I teach high school English and helps inspire my kids.

I've often wondered who left the photo there, and if they minded my
bringing it home with me, away from the wind, sun, and heat.  Can anyone
out there help me with these questions?

Tom Pare'