EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Alexander Schmitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:23:00 +0100
Fellow-Pounders,

a few notes:

o EP never really spoke German. I have tapes recorded privately on Brunnenburg
by Eva Hesse & her hub which are nevertheless amusing: EP desperately trying to
read German translations of some of his poems. Especially the umlaut in the
Mauberley-line "f|r eine alte Sau mit Zahnfaeule" ("for an old bitch gone in the
teerg" or close to that the Eng. HSM)seemed a special problem. Mikes advice to
pronounce it like the "oy" in London's Foyle's bookstore brought no improvement.
*
I have mentioned earlier that when I was with EP & Olga in Venice in Sep '67 the
old man was teavhing himself proper Chinese pronunctiation with the help of
Langenscheidt recordings. Just listen to his reading of Canto 99 (the Caedmon,
rec. in St. Liz)to hear how far away old Ez really was from "speaking" those
languages,
And remember that he frequently asked his daughter to do PROPER Italian
translations of his things because he himself cdn't.
*
the Pasolini-Interview is in PAI 10/2, 1981.
*
& a propos David Anderson: a quite interising piece on Cavalcanti by David was
in PAI 8/2, 1979
*

Salve!

alex