EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Timothy P Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:41:34 -0600
I agree with Dan Pearlman's posting about this issue, though since
Mr. Korg has mentioned me by name, I would like to say a few things.

I was reluctant to make any comment about Pound's medical situation
since a summary judgment would be without the benefit of the evidence
I will bring to bear in the biography where, as I said, bipolar
disorder is being advanced as a working hypothesis.  I decided,
finally, that it would be of some benefit to the Pound community to
be aware of some of my thoughts on the matter, which I have discussed
with Wendy Flory on several occasions, and which I mentioned to the
group which visited St. Elizabeths in conjunction with the Washington
D.C. MLA Convention (thanks again to Hugh Witemeyer for arranging
that tour).

Those who know my work know that if anything, I am excessively
cautious.  Obviously I am working with a psychiatrist in this aspect
of Pound's biography, Caroline Batenburg, M.D., who herself has
worked with a leading expert on bipolar disorder at UT San Antonio
medical school.  I stand by my opinion; the evidence will be
presented in Citizen Ezra Pound when it is published.

                                                Cheers!

                                                Tim Redman

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:20:22 -0800 Jacob Korg <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear Mr. Read: I don't think I replied to your reply about "amateur
> psychotherapy." I do think, as you suspect, that you have me wrong. I
> certainly have no objections to "psychotherapy" -- far from it, as an
> old-fashioned Freudian. The key word is "amateur." One of our
> correspondents completely missed the irony of that, and thought I was
> referring to some recognized or established practice. Anyhow,the point of
> my posting was to suggest that those of us who are planted in literary
> study ought to avoid making medical diagnoses such as Mr. Redman proposes
> to perform on Pound unless they are properly qualified.I fail to see the
> "arrogance" of that.
>                                         With best wishes,
>                                         Jacob Korg

Tim Redman