EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Simon DeDeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 18:35:49 -0400
Aiiie! My hard drive!

Seriously, though:

Dave --

        I think my experiences might be somewhat similar to yours; the
Cantos just don't seem to want to slip neatly in to undergraduate work
-- either you end  up making it all  the way through the  criticism to
find that the life is drained out of the text,  or you begin somewhere
that makes  complete sense to you  but either fails to  sustain itself
over a longer period of time, or fails to make any sense to the people
responsible for advising you.

        One thing that might help prevent reinvention of the wheel, or
that might  help  define  "problems"  to   solve within   your  thesis
statement  -- angles   of attack  --   is to look  at  similar efforts
beforehand.  Not  to  do a fullblown  comparison,  but  perhaps over a
weekend when you're  not hitting the  "primary" texts, to look at some
of  the criticism  of,  say,  Joyce's   Finnegans Wake (which   Pound,
incidentally,   disliked -- Joyce    returning  the complement to  the
Cantos), or  Berryman's Dream Songs.  Both of these  are related  in a
number of  ways to the  Cantos, and, in  my  beyond humble  and to the
other  side opinion,  can   shed  a  lot  of  light on   each  other's
structure.   How   Berryman  intertwines   personal   experience  with
historical  events, for example.   Certaintly, there are a  great many
differences between the  texts, but, speaking  from experience, the FW
and the DS seemed to work well at "shaking up" critical notions of the
texts.

        Let me know if this is  useful/interesting; I've done a lot of
thinking myself about the relations between  the three texts mentioned
above, and would welcome the chance  to dicuss connections with you or
other folks on the list.

-- Simon DeDeo

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~sdedeo/localpapers.html

Sorry about the odd formatting -- strange emacs things...