EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Sarah Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:28:35 +0100
At 18:54 03/06/98 +0900, you wrote:

>>   If you receive an email titled "WIN A HOLIDAY" DO NOT open it.
>>>  It will erase everything on your hard drive.

Don't worry about this, it is a hoax. Opening an e-mail cannot do this kind
of damage to your computer. A virus has get into your hard-drive by being
down-loaded, usually as part of a program. Apparently, this bogus
information has been circulating for a while, and is itself the 'virus', in
that encourages us to get worked up about nothing. I have been told this by
more than one person who is 'in the know' about these things, so I think we
can rest easy.
Sarah

*  When I am talking about the weather           *
*  I know what I am talking about.               *
*                            Kurt Schwitters     *