EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Martin Knepper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:25:54 +0100
Having spent some tiresome hours on collecting Pound mentionings of plant
names (and having almost no helpful 'sec.source' available) I po(u)ndered on
how great it would be if the complete works of EP could be available in an
online edition before 2042...
Being a learned bookseller I know about the big cons of such an idea,
especially legal/monetary reasons, but: as we all agree, EP needs careful
and i m p a r t i a l  reading/studying etc. in its best confucial sense,
including the pleasure of 'constant persevarance and application'.  You who
mostly participate in this group much longer than me - and I estimate the
works of some of yrs honourables for years  by their enlighting
contributions to PAIDEUMA - will know better, to what deviation a discussion
with hundreds of opinions and not single verse of beauty in it might lead -
leaving aside the fact that one might feel bored on being forced to read
through loads neobuffalonian repsocialcredit etc. where you were only
interested in one single line from the Jefferson-cantos.
(Not to speak against such topics, but one reason for their significant
occurance in the followership of Pound might be seen in the difficulties the
unprovided reader has, when he wants to fix EP on a point of view he himself
tends to incline to, just by the fact, that he got lost in the primary
sources. Pound, an okeanos for troubled minds to drown in.)
Back to my strongfelt desire for the facility of searching the complete
'hypertext'. Could it not be possible to organize an online access in a way,
I'd like to borrow the imagery from by the 'XXX-Newsgroups'? I think of
teachers of poetry, upgraded students etc and the members of this List of
course - sharing their material in a mutual way by non public servers,
confirming their 'credibility' by contributions and/or a real life adress
etc....
(Well, I've heard about such things. There are some things even Pound did
not mention...)
 Mutuality is a basic confucian principle, Pound would have been pleased to
see that a primary virtue is applied to the research of his works and not
reduced to the share of rape-pix 'with trimmings', wouldn't he? As there are
family members and merited contributors to the ming chêng virtually present
in this list I dare do raise this humble ask.

Love
Martin

PS: Here is a nice URL that was new at least to me - a small movie clip with
Pound in the 1960's reading the 'vanity'-passage from the Pisan cantos.
Ghostly and heartwarming in one.
http://www.learner.org/collections/multimedia/literature/vvseries/vvspot/vid
eo/pound.html