EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"Booth, Christopher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:29:33 -0400
I'm With Tim Bray on this one. I used to use TeX to do mathematical
typesetting for electrotechnical journals, and the power and versatility of
TeX are amazing. There are probably GUIs out there now that will sit nicely
on a TeX file for those that need 'em, but we used to throw ours out and key
in the TeX code on a command line, because once you got the hang of TeX it
was easier and faster to do it that way. TeX was a bit of a bear for us
English-Major editorial types to learn, but I began to appreciate the logic
of it. For producing a book with complex typesetting, such as math or
20th-Century poetry, TeX is still strong.

There are a few drawbacks to using HTML. The HTML standards are complete
enough to do a decent "browseable" file, but the browsers don't really
adhere to them very well. Netscape et al. stumble on some basic typographic
elements, like open and close quotes, en and em dashes, precise spacings,
etc. If you make a simple file with these things in it and then take a  look
at it with different browsers, the variations are suprising. The different
fonts available on different people's computers throw in yet another
difficulty. The easy way out is to typeset the text and then just scan it as
an image--but this makes every page a large and slow-to-download artifact,
and makes it unsearchable. HTML is much faster for World-Wide Web purposes.

Chris Booth