EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 14:48:08 -0400
7bit
From:
Bill Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Jane Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
I thought EP lived at the castle with his daughter, but I can't confirm
that, or the dates, or even what rewards might have been offered Pound
for his services to the Axis.  And I don't mean that to be snide or
sarcastic.  There was a war on, and people were dying in unprecedented
numbers, and EP was being broadcast on radio controlled by the Italian
government.  In an earlier posting it was suggested that EP was
excercising his rights udner the US Constitution, which seems to me an
indefensible premise. When you go over to the other side during a war,
you would seem to forfeit some constitutional protections.

Pound was giving voice to some of the arguments used by Hitler and other
anti-Semites to justify the extermination of millions of people. He
condemned the US war effort repeatedly. His conduct would heave almost
certainly been judged treason -- and he face possible execution -- had
he not been judged insane and committed to St. Elizabeth's.

It could be argued that his radio broadcasts did not sway anyone or in
any way bolster the Axis efforts.  That might mitigate his crime, but
not excuse it entirely.  He was a great poet... not a great patriot.

Bill Wagner