EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Joe Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:00:15 EDT
it's difficult to think of meanings of "elite" & "elitist" that are not
pejorative, but I suppose it's possible; it's been a long time since I've
heard a reference to someone  as "elitist" that didn't carry with it a sense
of denigration.  however, there's no reason not to accept Bill at his word
that he meant no such reproach.  I agree with Christopher's observation that
we "abandon the use of  the word "elitist," except where one actually means
it.  but I disagree with bill that the initial criticism of Carolyn See was
prompted by any "who does she think she is" attitude, a remark that does seem
to cast aspersions, and a conclusion that doesn't fit the general tenor of
Carlo's remarks, who was very specific in what he objected to.  nor do I
think any useful purpose is furthered by Bill's reference to Pound as il
Duce's puppet lapdog, which does strike me as pejorative; Pound was many
things, some of them regrettably evil, but he wasn't anyone's stooge.  and
whatever else he may have been, he was arguably the greatest poet of his
time, and perhaps of this century, and most certainly his greatness isn't
"measured by counting the number of obscure
literary references & linguistic excursions per page," an observation that is
as inane as it is pejorative.  perhaps we could speak to Pound's enormous
contributions to poetry, including expanding the scope of interest, his
erudition and his historical methods, instead of engaging in these juvenile,
and not so clever, putdowns.

joe brennan....

In a message dated 9/2/99 10:26:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,