EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:40:54 -0400
"As it happened, many people still simply did not understand how a movie
could have someone die in a scene, then have them alive in the next."

But this is merely "cinema language"... developed most expertly more than
seventy years ago by
the father of montage - Sergei Eisenstein (Pound's aesthetic soul-mate, or
one of them)... as for
the so-called revolutionary idea of a character being dead in one scene and
alive in the next... and
audiences NOT understanding it (!!!!) how did audiences manage the Bill
Holden character
in Sunset Boulevard (?)... a guy who starts the film dead AND narrates
it!!!!

Stoneking

> In a message dated 8/31/99 2:27:53 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<For all that, the movie Pulp Fiction, for example, worked in a kind of
> simple prismic or ideogrammic way. I tend to think it would not have been
> produced as it was without Pound or his Cantos coming first. And lots of
> people liked that movie. Maybe the modern world is slowly becoming more
> Poundian. But the emphasis is on slowly.>>
>
> I think that people liked PULP FICTION because it was silly and violent, a
> combination that seemed to appeal to many (not me).  It is not more
Poundian