ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:47:39 -0800
Providence wins 5-1.

Here are just some random, RAW thoughts after one of the worst home
losses of recent times:

(I didn't see the game, so if you did, lets here about it)

I must have missed the memo that came out about Alfond Arena no longer
being a terrific home ice advantage.  Back-to-back incredibly poor
Friday night performances (also giving up 5 goals in both those games).

I am now convinced Maine's defense is brutal.  When the goalies have
played well, they carried Maine, but the reverse is far from true.  If
the goalies don't play well the puck does not stay out of our net it
appears.  Yes, its true you won't win many games only scoring 1 or 2
goals.  However, compare the difference between Providence and Maine
tonight.  Providence protected the front of their net and didn't allow
second shots very often.  Maine does not do this, puck ends up in the
back of their net 3 times in the first 10 minutes.  Game over with
Providence trapping and playing tight defense.  This must be addressed
with next years recruiting class.

I agree with James, I can't count how many times the radio guys noted
that Maine "did not get anyone to the front of the net".  I think they
are really missing gritty guys like Shaneberger to do the dirty work.
What happened to Greg Moore?  He was one of those guys earlier this
year.  Has he peaked?  I hardly heard his name called tonight.

Has Maine peaked?

Props to Colin Shields (since I picked on him last week) because it
sounds like he played hard and created some chances.

I am really interested to see how Frank Doyle responds tomorrow.
Howard has come back to earth, he's given up 4 goals, 2 goals, 5 goals
and 5 goals in this last four games.  This is Doyle's chance to seize
the moment because I think Howard might need to sit.  He's not getting
a lot of help either, but you've got to stop the puck too.  This isn't
just one bad game, it is #2 or #3 recently.

I would have pulled Howard at 3-0 to try and change things up.

Lawson, another goal for him. Damon also sounds like he played hard.
Lyall was rewarded with a move up to Heisten's spot.

I'm sick of Dan Hannigan saying "its just one of those nights".  Lately
its more the norm than anything.  Maine's record in 2003 7-4-1 by my
quick count and they have only won 2 of their last 6 games (2-3-1).  It
is official:  Maine is struggling right now.

That's enough for now.  I'm real disappointed with the fact Maine layed
an egg in what I consider a big game two weeks straight (5 games left
they are ALL big games now).  Maine needs to respond tomorrow night.
In this league with everyone being so competitive, the regular season
title is still up for grabs and if Maine puts it together they can
still grab it.