ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:36:23 -0500
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/030111umainehockey.shtml

                     Saturday, January 11, 2003

                                            Maine flashes speed

                        By   KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2003 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ORONO  --  Northeastern Coach Bruce Crowder keeps going to his bullpen against the University of Maine hockey team, but the results remain the same: a blowout by the Black Bears. Crowder needed to change goalies as Maine pummeled the Huskies 7-1 Friday night before 4,934 fans at Alfond Arena.

   Lucas Lawson had four goals and Martin Kariya enjoyed a six-point game to lead the third-ranked Black Bears (17-2-2), who moved into a tie for first place in Hockey East at 7-1-1.

   In the previous meeting between the teams, an 8-2 Maine rout in November, Crowder made two changes in goal. He only had two goalies Friday as starter Keni Gibson served a one-game suspension issued by Crowder after Gibson slashed an opponent last weekend against Boston University.

   Freshman goalie Tim Heneroty, making his second start, allowed five goals on 17 shots. Lawson had his hat trick by 11:30 of the second period, giving Maine a 5-1 lead and prompting Crowder to replace Heneroty with Mike Gilhooly.

   The Huskies (1-11-2, 1-9-1) have allowed 18 goals in their last three games.

   "It's all going to get thrown back into the blender and turned on," Crowder said. "We're trying to get things squared away."

   Maine Coach Tim Whitehead also made a goalie change, but only to allow third-stringer Ray Jean of Randolph some game action for the last 7:56. Starter Frank Doyle made 22 saves, including one in which he swatted away the puck while lying on his back with no stick.

   But the big stars were Lawson and Kariya.

   Lawson, who scored twice in the previous Northeastern game, continually blew past Northeastern's defensemen, driving the net and burying  his shot.

   "It's a game you dream about," Lawson said. "They've got some young (defensemen) and we wanted to exploit it. We've got great team speed and we used it."

   Lawson, especially, is dangerously fast.

   "When Luke has a full head of steam and he's looking to drive, there are not many (defensemen) who can stop him," Kariya said. "It's my job to to hit him (with a pass while he's) flying."

   Kariya's passes have been on the mark. He said he's making a concerted effort to get the puck - "I need the puck to play well" - and that has meant 20 points in his last nine games. His five-assist, one-goal performance Friday gave him 36 points on the season.

   He tied two school records - for most points and most assists in a game. Among those who share the most-points record are his brothers, Paul and Steve.

   Kariya gave Maine a 1-0 lead at 4:03 of the first period, one-timing a Chris Heisten pass on a power play. Then Lawson skated down the left side, zipped past defenseman Jack Celata and beat Heneroty on the far side at 5:52.

   Lawson made it 3-0 at 11:44, taking a Kariya pass in the right circle, skating into the slot and firing past Heneroty.

   Northeastern closed the period with a power-play goal, but Todd Jackson and Lawson struck in the second and Francis Nault and Lawson added goals in the third.

   NOTES: Forward Colin Shields is sitting out a second straight weekend with a cracked rib.

   Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: [log in to unmask]