ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:08:41 -0400
 From today's BDN...

Black Bears to receive NCAA rings
The University of Maine's NCAA championship rings will be presented on Friday
night and then Maine coach Shawn Walsh will get a first-hand look at the
newcomers who could help the Bears in their run for another ring during the
Blue-White exhibition game.
Game time is 7 and the admission fee is $2.
The one position that will be closely scrutinized will be in goal where four
candidates will battle. NCAA Frozen Four Most Valuable Player Alfie Michaud
decided to pass up his senior year and sign with the NHL's Vancouver Canucks.
In addition to sophomore Mike Morrison, who played in 11 games a year ago and
posted a 3-0-1 record, a 1.73 goals-against average, and a .917 save
percentage, the other goalies are redshirt freshman Matt Yeats of Innisfail,
Alberta, and freshmen Trapper Clark of Waterville and Adam Pobiak of
Pittsburgh.
"It's very much up in the air," said Walsh. "I want to see how it plays out."
The 16-year Bear boss has had success with a one-goalie system and a two-goalie
tandem and indicated that he is keeping an open mind.
Maine won the national title with Michaud starting the last 20 games a year ago
and, during the 1992-93 national championship run, Garth Snow and Mike Dunham
shared the netminding.
Walsh won't begin putting his lines together until Saturday, so he will put
newcomers on lines with veteran players on Friday to give them a better
opportunity to display their talents.
"We legitimately have 16 or 17 forwards fighting for 12 spots," said Walsh.
"We'll have as much depth up front as we had a year ago, although it might be
young depth."
As for defense, he said he has been encouraged by what he has seen so far.
Maine returns four defensemen who played in at least 33 games a year ago.
Converted forward A.J. Begg played in 26 games, injury-plagued Eric Turgeon
appeared in 12, and there are four newcomers.
Walsh said his staff and players will like the national championship rings,
saying, "They're more beautiful than the rings in '92-93."
Hockey tickets to go on sale
The University of Maine will begin selling men's ice hockey individual game
tickets for the upcoming season on Monday. A limited number of tickets are
available and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets can be
purchased by calling 581-BEAR, 1-800-756-TEAM, or by visiting Alfond Arena in
Orono.