ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 13:40:17 EDT
DanD wrote, in part..
>I presume with the recent court ruling against the NC$$ concerning their
>restrictions on the salaries of assistant coaches, that this job will be
>set at a reasonable rate of pay...Note that no salary was discussed.

I don't know the pay range, but given Department of Athletics apparent
funding problems (decreases in funding from school over the years along
with new facilities and teams, and unresolved problems such as hockey
office antiquated computers ), I wouldn't expect the (2nd) assistant
coach to be driving a new BMW.

For what it's worth, the now defunct NCAA regs on the "restricted
earnings" coach included such restrictive items as $12,000 (or the cost
of graduate school expenses, whichever is higher) plus $4,000 for summer
duties.  Most athletic-related income counted toward the limit;
non-athletic income mostly did not count.  Income of a spouse was
counted in some cases.  I'll omit the *pages* of rules.  :-)  See an old
NCAA manual sections 11.2.3 and 11.3 (especially 11.3.4) for most of
the rules that applied to the ice hockey restricted earnings coach.

>Here's wishing the program hits another Grant Standbrook-type home run when
>filling this vacancy.

Maine does have something of a tradition when it comes to having
outstanding coaches.

By the way, this is the position most recently held by Mario Thyer.,

cheers,
wayne