EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:10:43 GMT
On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:56:10 -0500, you wrote:

>Just a rhetorical question: Is this subject really off-topic?

- well, I'd hope not, obviously, for the key thing which drew / draws
me to Pound - warts an' all - is the way he sounds, the opportunity he
gives me to explore language on the air. And yes, the Bunting / Alps
poem is right still, or sems so to me: "Fatal glaciers, crags cranks
climb /... et l'on entend, maybe, le refrain joyeux et leger." For
myself, retired musician (ok, fired musician) I've been stumbling
around on it for over thirty years, and it still excites me, I still
get new stuff from it. There are very few writers of whom I can say
that.

That's why I'm seeking to look at that lineage I mentioned, Yeats >
Pound > Bunting > various poets of today (mainly UK; no offence
intended: it's where I live), and why I'm grateful to members of this
list for some of the contributions to this thread.

Because this list seems to consist mainly of duets, I'd better find
something to object to, perhaps it's this: I wouldn't be so quick to
slam all of LangPo as performers: I've heard those who are superb
controllers of line, pitch and measure on their own account. That
there are turkeys in this wide and diverse "group" (as all others)
ain't the point: that somehow, despite the widespread neglect of the
study of poetry-read-aloud, individuals still hit into the old stream,
well that's noteworthy.

My two pet hates on the poetry reading circuit are the Mutterer, and
the Preacherman: they operate right across the spectrum, but neither
of these two have learned a thing from the lineage I associate with
Pound. When, by mistake, I find myself listening to either of these
ear-dead slackers, I leave. Life's short.

RC