EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"s.j. adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
s.j. adams
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:34:50 -0400
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Bo Hägerås wrote:

> Recently connected to this list, i am assisting the creation of an anthology of american poetry. Have come to the poem "The return" by EP. Where can i find a discussion about the poem? English is not my language,- Is there some secondary meaning in the expression "wing´d-with-Awe"? Is "Haie! Haie!" an exclamation like "Hey! Hey!" or is there something else behind it?
>
> Indeed i hope someone can spread light to me.

Since no one else has responded to this invitation, I will throw out a few
crumbs.  There are, of course, the standard annotations to EP's early or
selected poems by Ruthven, Froula, and Brooker, plus the scattered
comments in the general surveys that cover EP's early work (I haven't had
a chance to recheck what Thomas Grieve has to say in his excellent recent
book).

Beyond that, there are brief notes in Paideuma that call attention, not to
Pound's remarks relating "The Return" to Vorticism (cited in the above),
but the Pound's confession that the poem is based on the introductory poem
to Henri de Regnier's _Les Medailles d'Argiles_.  This relationship was
first noted by Calvin Israel in a 1960s article, then noted again in a
Paideuma note by John Espey (who seems unaware of Israel's article), then
in another note by Archie Henderson, who dredges up the lost Israel
article (biblio below).

I wrote about "The Return" in a 1970s article on EP's quanyities and
"absolute rhythm," and then summarized this material in a weightier
article on EP's "metrical contract," again focussing on rhythms as
vorticist "motifs."  In both places, I confess, I failed to mention the de
Regnier connection (though it has little bearing on my larger argument).

BIB
Stephen Adams, "Pound's Quantities and Absolute Rhythm," Essays in Lit 4
(1977).
------, "The Metrical Contract of The Cantos," J of Mod Lit 15 (1988).
John Espey, "Some Notes on 'The Return,'" Paid (Spring 1986).
Archie Henderson, "A Further Note on 'The Return,'" Paid (Winter 1987).
Calvin Israel, "Imitation and Meaning in EP's 'The Return,'" Lock Haven
Review 8 (1966).

(If these are impossible for you to locate where you are, I can provide
copies.)
				Stephen Adams
				Department of English
				University of Western Ontario