EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 06:53:57 GMT
In answering the question about which composer's style most greatly
resembles Pound's poetic style, Charles Moyer replied,

 >I'd say -Bob Dylan or
>Frank Zappa or maybe Mariah Carey

I can see why you might choose Frank Zappa.  What comes to my mind is the
song "Call any vegetable" especially the rutabaga chorus.

What I really wanted to know is if people on the list thought that Pound's
style was more analgous  to that of  Beethoven, Wagner, or  Strauss the
Waltz King.

Here are some selected lyrics from Zappa's "Call any vegetable" for those
interested:

This is a song about vegetables
They keep you regular,
They're real good for you.

Call any vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Call it by name
(Call any vegetable)
Call one today
(Call any vegetable)
When you get off the train
(Call any vegetable)
Call any vegetable And the chances are good
That the vegetable will respond to you

(Some people don't go for prunes...I
don't know, I've always found that if they...)

Call any vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Pick up your phone
(Call any vegetable)
Think of a vegetable
(Call any vegetable)
Lonely at home
(Call any vegetable)
Call any vegetable And the chances are good
That a vegetable will respond to you

Rutabaga, Rutabaga,
Rutabaga, Rutabaga,
Rutabay-y-y-y...