EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Ben.Harper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:12:06 +1000
The Companion is a "must have", for gathering together so many of Pound's
sources in one place.  I have never read my copy of the book through
'systematically', only consulting it when I've wanted to find out more
about something mentioned in the poem.  The Companion acts as a key to
expanding your own knowledge of the Cantos, not as a reductive explanation
of what the poem is "about."  As Pound himself is not around to be
questioned about the contents of the poem, the Companion is the next best
thing.

Now you mention it, I suppose I have only used the book in this way for the
reasons you gave.  I wouldn't let the Companion intrude upon the reading
process (certainly never try reading the Cantos with the Companion open
beside it, consulting back and forth!)  But I imagine now that reading the
Companion through would be of great benefit; if one had gone through the
entire Cantos unaided at least once, and then read the Companion as
"preparatory work" to a further, unaided, reading of the poem.  After all,
the material in the Companion is that used by Pound, presented in an order
analogous to that used by Pound, so I doubt the Companion's approach would
be considered "rigorously analytical" by conventional academic standards.
Besides which, there is the particular nature of Pound's obscurities, as
summed up by Hugh Kenner: "Pound omits, omits, but knows what he is
omitting and can restore on demand".  In this light, use of the Companion
could not distance the reader from the poem.

regards, Ben.Harper