EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
K Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:23:41 -0800
Tim, I like your questions but I am unable to answer all of them at
this time.  Part of my answer involves the following from Philip Burns,
editing correspondence between EP and Congressman Tinkham of
Massachusetts:

"But Pound the lecturer and social critic, the venter of spleen and
opinion, and even the self-acknowledged Great Man are subordinate to
Pound the citizen-in-absentia, the eccentric patriot bent on action,
the intellectual in the (hypothetical) caucus room."

I remember reading about Confucius wanting to personally advise his
king, in the same way Pound wrote letters to FDR and Eleanor.  What I
don't know is how much Pound knew about Confucius, because so much of
what I have studied was written/translated after Pound's post-war
translations.

The answer to your question about what institutions Pound sought to
revitalize is in the letters of Jefferson and Adams.  I ran out of time
in my research there and I regret to leave you only with more questions
of my own.  I hope to research more later, thank you.