EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Martin Knepper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:05:17 +0100
May I add something, resp. iuxtapose two texts dealing with filial piety?
The first is by Zhu Xi /Chu Hsi, from a commentary on Mencius:

"Li Tong said: 'That Shun could peace the mind of his [criminal] father
Gusou was only due to the fact, that he consequently followed the Tao of
filial piety, and did not care for his parents' wrongs.' Luo Zhongsu
hereto adds: 'It was due to the fact that in the whole wide world do not
exist any parents able to do something wrong.' When Chen Guan heard this,
he found it perfectly true and said: 'If this opinion [of Luo] will be
accepted, the roles of father and son will be perfectly established. For
that small people kill their sovereign and sons kill their father has
always started with the fact, that they found a fault in them.'" (Sishu
jizhu, Comm. on Mencius 4A28)

Keep in mind, it was Zhu Xi speaking here in the multi-mirrored way of
confucian commentaries. Now the second quote, this time Pound speaking in
the beautiful Kungtse-Canto XIII (really the one I got hooked on by...):

"And Kung raised his cane against Yuan Jang,
            Yuan Jang being his elder,
For Yuan Jang sat by the roadside pretending to
            be receiving wisdom.
And Kung said
            "You old fool, come out of it,
Get up and do something useful."
            And Kung said
"Respect a child's faculties
"From the moment it inhales the clean air,
"But a man of fifty who knows nothing
            Is worthy of no respect."

Two quite different concepts of filial piety - piety and learning being
two main poles of confucian ethics, one could at least speak of a long way
the Ezra Pound of 1913 had to go to reach the neoconfucian rigidity of Zhu
Xi.

Love
Martin

---